Adventurers guild

3. Adventurers guild

Knock-knock-knock. Who is knocking on my door at this hour? I rise from my bed and put some clothes on before opening the front door. The bunny girl was at the door and she was looking at me with an angry look.

“You´re late. I had to come all the way here to get your lazy ass.”

Late? Late for what?

“Wait don’t tell me you forgot? We were supposed to go test out your new sword today.”

“Oh yeah, I totally forgot. I guess I was too focused on the orphan situation. Let me grab my stuff and we can go then.”

She sighs and comes inside, I go to my room and take my black sword and my hood.

“All right I am ready.”

“Wait, that’s it? You´re not going to take more equipment or weapons?”

“There should be no problem like this.”

“But you don’t even have armor or a shield.”

“I won’t need one in this area.”

Her reaction is normal as going to look for beasts without defensive equipment is usually suicide, but I am strong enough to not need one here.
Sarah is equipped with a chain vest, helmet and a buckler with a gap. Her weapon is a bow and arrows.

“All right but don’t expect me to save you, I have hard enough time surviving myself.”

“No need to worry, lets head to the guild before it gets crowded.”

We walked to the guild while enduring the hateful looks from the passers-by while having a light conversation.

We reach the adventurers guild relatively quickly as there are fewer people on the streets this early. We enter the three-storied wooden building from the front door.

The inside is split in two sections, the left side is a tavern with tables and seats where you can enjoy the money you get from your missions and the right side is the place where you can see different missions and there is a counter where you can verify that you have completed the mission and get your reward.

The second floor is where they make the food for the tavern and clean up anything useful from the corpses of the beasts. Third floor is where the guild personnel live.

The guild personnel usually are from different cities or countries that are affiliated with the adventurers’ guild to make sure they are kept open in a way that doesn’t discriminate towards anyone, just like the hero of old wanted.

The one working in the counter usually is Benma from the dragonnier village and the guild master here is an elf. There are few more employees here and none of them are lizard people even though they can be hired.
There is also a rank system, but I am not interested on it, if you bring beasts here you get paid for it and that is good enough for me. For other missions you would need a certain rank before you can accept them but with things that are in need always you do not even need to accept a mission and it doesn’t matter what rank you are.

Although if you take a mission that says you need to bring in a certain number of beasts you get a bonus and your rank rises so I understand why Sarah wants to take a mission before we go. If you fail to complete the mission, you accept your rank drops and depending on the mission there is a penalty.

Sarah goes to the bulletin board and takes a quest for five fire wolves, it is a common quest and easily done if you are an adequate adventurer. For melee fighters they might be a bit tricky because of their flaming fur.

“That’s a bit unambitious of you, with me here you could take almost any quest and complete it.”

“Sorry but I rather be safe than sorry.”

“So little trust for someone who lets me...”

I look around and the few people in the tavern and Benma are all looking at us, I close my mouth and turn around and start walking to the entrance door feeling embarrassed.

“If it makes you feel any better I do trust you more than anyone else in this city that is not a part of my family.”

“I understand, I am grateful for the trust you have given me already.”

As the adventurers’ guild is near the gate of the city we quickly arrive at the gate.

We show the gate keepers our guild cards, they inspect them and after they cleared them they let us through.

We go outside from a small door near the gate, the road turns right from the gate and goes to the west. To the south there is a forest filled with green trees and to the east there is a grassy plain.

We turn left to the grassy plains as we took a quest to get fire wolves, behind the grassy plains there is a desert area where the fire wolves live. Behind the desert area is the dragonnier village and the valley of dragons but they are far away.

“How are there no beasts attacking us? I would have normally had to deal with several of them by now.”

“Because they are afraid of me. Even if they are beasts they can sense my mana and cower away.”

“That is pretty handy.”

“It has more negatives than positives, trust me. I had to train hard to learn how to mask it, if I didn’t anyone with a little knowledge about mana could track me from a far away with no effort. There are also very dangerous beasts in south that would swarm to me if I couldn’t mask it.”

“I see, well at least it is handy here.”

“More and less, if the beasts are desperate enough they can still attack me, so I can’t drop my guard, even here.”

“Sigh, you have to look at the positives in life sometimes.”

“There aren’t many of them though.”

“That is exactly why, if you miss the few positives in life then what will you have?”

“I do enjoy making swords.”

“That’s not exactly what I meant but its good enough.”

After walking we reach the desert area where the wolves are supposed to be living. I mask some of my mana but leave enough to make them think there are easy pray here.

As we walk deeper in to the desert I notice that we have been surrounded by the fire wolves already. There are twelve of them around us.

“Sarah, we are surrounded, my lure worked a bit too well so just leave this to me, shoot one that comes from the front and then turn around and run.”
“Okay.” Sarah says quickly but clearly.

I turn around and run to the four wolves that are behind us. Two of them jump at me and I slice them in half with one sword stroke. The two that is left jump at me too and I slice them with another stroke.

Sarah runs past me, I turn around and see the seven wolves running toward me. I put my right leg behind for support and with my right hand I put my sword behind my left arm and swipe my sword from left to right through the wolves.

The blood from the cuts put out the fire from the furs, I clean my black sword that cut through the wolves effortlessly and put it in my scabbard.
“That, was, amazing.”

“Yeah, the sword is better than I expected, I do have to test it out on something tougher.”

“No, I mean you were amazing, you killed eleven fire wolves in seconds. I thought we were done for when I saw we were ambushed.”

“Yes, that was my bad. I didn’t think so many of them would come. They should be living in smaller packs, I wonder why there was such a big one here.”

“How are we supposed to carry them all to the guild? They are so messy now that you split them in half.”

“Lets just take five I don’t want to get my clothes dirty.”

“Such a waste, if you don’t want to carry them then I will do it, but I will take the money as well.”

“Fine by me.”

I carried the five I promised and the extra one that was cleanly killed by the arrow. Sarah struggled to carry the remaining six that we in half but she somehow managed, although the blood covered the white bunny girl wholly.

When we reached the plains, the ground started to shake, and I hear a sound of something dropping on the ground. I glance over and see the wolf halves on the ground and Sarah looking somewhere with a shocked look.




I look in the direction where Sarah was looking and see a giant snake heading this way rapidly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dwarf kingdom part one

Updates and things.

Made it, but.