The blue sword


14. The blue sword.

After she was finished with the measurements we went to the shop part and Martin was called to get measured, I stayed in the shop part to find new weapons and shields to replace the old ones.

Martin who walked past me had a new shiny silver kite shield with him already. I wonder if the others found what they were looking for already, I start looking through the different shields and swords they had there.

There are bucklers, round shields and kite shields in varied sizes and colors. I pick up a green round shield and hold it in my left hand, the weight is double my last shield, but it feels good in my hand and kind of like it.

After trying out few other shields I decide to take the heavy green shield, I take it again in my left hand. I move to the area with swords, I glance at a display of a small short sword that has a pale blue hue on the otherwise steel blade.

I stay there staring at the blade just admiring the beauty of the sword, it is simple but incredibly well made. The thin but sharp blade and how the hilt is simplistic and thin as well, all the swords the dwarfs made back home were large and heavy with durability as the main point.

“You like it?”

I rapidly move my head to the direction where the sound came and see the blacksmith walking toward me next to Martin.

“I really like it, it’s just so well made and in a different way that I’m used to, it is truly a beautiful sword.”

“It is a sword that the hero of old gave to our ancestor as a present, he had used it earlier himself, but it soon became too weak for the enemies he had to face at, so he gave it away. And after treasuring it for hundreds of years our ancestor decided to give it to us so if need be, we could defend ourselves.”

“I could never take something so valuable.”
“It is the best sword we have here and if you like it then I insist you take it, it is meant to be used and you are going to need it.”

“I still can’t take it.”

“All right, what if you just loaned it? After your journey you bring it back here and it will continue to be our treasured artifact.”

“…”

“Oi.”

“All right, fine, but I am bringing it back okay?”

The blacksmith nods with a smile and goes back into the backroom.

“Are you ready? Let’s head back to the house then, the others went to look around the village, but I don’t think we have the time for it.”

“Yes, I am ready. How do you like your new shield?”

I open the display case and take the sword out carefully with my right hand. The weight feels almost nonexistent and as I move it in the air it feels so smooth due to the balance of the sword and the sharpness of the blade.

“So, what happened with you and the blacksmith? The time you were taking measurements was a lot longer than mine.”

“I am so sorry you must have wanted to go look around the village too, we talked, and she told how her father died in the incident.”

“And I’m sure you did your best to console her, you are always so kind Melissa. Yeah, no problem, I was more than happy to look through the shop, I needed time to decide on the shield anyways.”

He raises his shield and looks at it smilingly, then we walked out of the shop and headed back to the house.
“We got a bit distracted there so let me ask again, how do you like your new shield?”

“Sorry, yeah, I like it. It’s a lot heavier than my previous one but I like the weight, it also feels good in my hand.”

“I also tried it out, but it was a bit too small for me, so I chose this one.”

“It fits well with your personality I think, like you want to protect everyone by standing in front the danger.”

“Yours fits well with your personality too, the way how you like to want to go anywhere and everywhere with the people you care about and if something happens you jump in and protect them no matter the situation.”

“You are exaggerating, I am not that great.”

“Yes, you are, and it is why I respect you so much. I don’t have the courage to lead people to danger, I would much rather just go the other way and do everything I can to protect them.”

Martin looks down and grips his shield and sword tighter.

“I think what you would do is much more admirable, dragging others to danger just because of my curiosity, principals or desire is selfish and horrible.”

“I know you Melissa, you would always put others before yourself. You wouldn’t drag people into an impossible situation just, so you could get your way. I am the selfish one for wanting the people close to me stay in a safe place even if it meant for them to have no freedom.”

We walk in silence for a while.

“I don’t think staying in one place is that bad if you have everything you need there and you are safe. Wouldn’t that be ideal actually?”

“Yeah, but it’s not realistic. It is a dangerous world where you can’t trust many people, living outside populated areas is hard because of the beasts and it’s hard to get food. There are many problems and we couldn’t be with you guys then, you all have your own goals and things you want to do, and we couldn’t hold you back even if we wanted to.”

“Couldn’t you stay with the dragonnier people?”

“It does look pretty good but it’s still risky, it’s much better to travel with you guys, get to know the world better and grow stronger.”

“It is a dangerous journey we are about to embark on.”

“But as long as we are together I think we can protect everyone.”

Martin says and smiles happily. I smile too and say that I agree. We reach the house at the same time and Alice was standing near the house.

“Why are you two just smiling as you walk? Suspicious if you ask me.”

“We were just having an enjoyable conversation.” I explain.

“I know, you two hooking up is impossible, with you being oblivious about that stuff and him being in love with Marie. In addition, both or your personalities are too pure to go around doing stuff behind people’s backs.”

“I’m not oblivious about that stuff, I think. Anyways we should go in before they start the dinner without us.”

We go inside the house and walk to the room where the big dinner table is, everyone is already there sitting at the table that is filled with various dishes.

We sit down at the table and then we all started to eat, I eat many different dishes and they all taste incredible. I haven’t eaten food this good before, we continue eating while talking to each other about all kinds of things.


After the dinner I headed to my room and as soon as I lied down I fell asleep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dwarf kingdom part one

Updates and things.

Made it, but.