Leaving cascana



17. Leaving cascana

I run to Marie who took a serious hit in the fight, she is on the ground coughing up blood. I start to heal her and hear someone running toward me with great speed.

Martin runs to her and takes her hand.

“Are you, all right?” he asks and looks at her with tears on his eyes.

 I keep healing her as she looks at him and smiles gently with a bloodied mouth.

They stay like that the whole time I heal her and when Marie stands up I know she is feeling better, wounds that are on the inside are hard to know when they are healed so I just need to keep healing until they show signs of getting better.

“Thank you, Melissa.” Marie says with a smile.

“No problem, I am just glad you are all right.”

“There can still be more of them and there might be survivors so let’s move out.” The grand mage says while starting to walk toward the town.

We walk around the town carefully checking every house on the way, the corpses of the feline race can be seen everywhere, on the streets inside the houses and even on the roofs.

I feel sick, but I hold it in and concentrate, if there is another enemy like that lying in wait it would be bad if we were caught off guard. The town is silent and the only sound I can hear is the sound of our footsteps.

We walk like that through the town, there was no one left alive, we came here too late. I start to tear up, I feel I could throw up any minute, but I don’t allow myself to throw up.

I need to be stronger so in the future I can protect people.

“There doesn’t seem to be anyone left in the town, but another enemy could be around here close by. There are smaller villages around here, so we should check them out.” The grand mage says.

“How are we going to do that? Going from village to village will take a lot of time and we can’t really separate if there is another enemy.” Luna asks the grand mage.

“Would you rather we go to another town and hope we aren’t too late for that as well? No, that is not possible anymore, I was hoping that the attacks wouldn’t happen at the same time but that obviously isn’t the case. What we should we doing now is look for survivors and eliminating the enemies.”

What the grand mage is saying is harsh but true, the attacks have already happened, and we should focus on helping the people that can be helped, if we go around from one place to another trying to save everyone, we will end up saving none.

“What if the towns are still holding out? They might be fighting the monster equally or barely holding out, they might be hiding or running away barely clinging onto their lives. Should we just abandon them? The smaller villages are probably fine now that we killed the monster, if there is another one then they are already lost. There is nothing for us here so let’s go to a place where we can help people.” Luna explains heatedly.

I have never seen Luna this serious, I can’t believe I lost the will to try from just one failure. I wanted to feel like we accomplished something even if it was from saving a few people. I really am pathetic, thinking that getting stronger would make everything better. With strength alone, I can’t help everyone.

“I agree with Luna.” I say.

The rest nod toward the grand mage.

“I disagree, if there is another beast it couldn’t have killed every village yet so there is a high chance of rescuing some, but the situation would be similar as we do not know what villages are in danger and we could just run around in a circle accomplishing nothing. Your plan certainly is better if we want to save as many as we can but it’s a difficult one.”

“Let’s do it.” Martin says happily.

Again, we nod.

“Let’s go back to the dragon then.”

“Where are we going next?” I ask the grand mage.
“We are going to a place that inhabits half owl people, they live in a peculiar way so killing them quickly is a tricky thing.”

“How so?”

“They live separately and there is only a place to trade and discuss that acts as their town but there are no buildings there and there are never many people there.”

“Wouldn’t that make it hard for us to help them too?” Martin asks.

“They are smart people, as long as we find one they can notify the others.”


We reach the dragon and climb up her back, the grand mage talks to the dragon as it gets up and takes off. Many things have happened again, and I feel quite tired. As I watch the dragon rising up toward the clouds my eye lids close slowly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dwarf kingdom part one

Updates and things.

Made it, but.